I’ll be putting more info up soon in a dedicated tab on the website. For today what you need to know is below.
If you are interested in participating in the Paleo Challenge, you must fill out a participant form before Thursday.
The Challenge will start Thursday as we didn’t get the calipers in time, etc.
Also, before Thursday you will need to complete Fran (unless you did it last week) and a Max Effort Clean and Jerk.
Please read through the rest of this and shoot any and all questions my way.
Things that have changed: entrance fee is now $30. House will take $10. Thursday Morning official Start date.
Commonwealth CrossFit Paleo Challenge
Who: You and a Friend
What: 30 Day Paleo Challenge
When: 3/14- 4/14
Why: To Introduce the Paleo Diet, improve performance and live healthier
How Much: $30/ person ($20 will go to the cash prize, house will take $10 to defray some of the expenses of running this challenge. )
At Commonwealth CrossFit, we would like to challenge you to try the Paleo Diet for 30 days. We have found that the practice of cleaning out our diets significantly will yield better performance, weight loss amongst a myriad other benefits. There is a mild competitive aspect, but the challenge is mostly for fun! Everyone’s a winner, folks.
Competitors will be grouped in pairs. You can pick your teammate or if you don’t have one, we will draw names from a hat.
We are going to be charging $30/ person. House will keep $10 to defray some costs. The rest will be split between the top 3 teams as follows: 3rd place- $ back. 3nd Place 30% of the remaining $. 1st Place- 70% of the remaining $.
Each member of the First place team will also receive a free month of an unlimited membership.
All contestants must perform Fran as well as a Max Clean and Jerk at the start and end of the competition.
Times and weights must be turned in by Thursday night at 8:00 PM.
All contestants must do body comps (weight, measurements and body fat %) before and after.
All contestants must take before and after pictures. These should be taken in the same place and your clothing should allow the change to be seen (Shorts and sports bras for ladies and shorts for fellas). You can provide your own, or we can take them here at the gym.
Body measurements should be taken before and after. Chest, waist, hips, right leg, right arm and neck.
We will use calipers or the hand held electrical body fat machine to determine muscle mass. We will also let you weigh yourself if you’d like. We will not be using this number in our scoring system. This is because our emphasis is on composition, not weight loss! Some of you might gain weight and look/ feel better. That’s great.
Brian and/ or Khaki will be available from 6-8 on Tuesday and Brian and/ or Beth will be available from 5-7 on Wednesday.
The overall top 3 winners will be based on a point system taken from 3 different categories.
- Food Journals which must be turned in every Monday by the close of business(NO EXCEPTION) you have a teammate so if one of you cant make it send your journal with the other one, you could also transfer it to a spread sheet and send it over email. GET IT DONE NO JOURNAL = NO POINTS FOR THAT PARTNER FOR THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Improvement on the Challenge Wods
- Overall Inches lost and body Fat% lost as a team
These 3 factors will all be taken into account with Food Journals = 50%, WODs=25%, Inches/BF=25%
So it is very important to keep up with your journals.
This whole thing can only really work on the HONOR SYSTEM, hey we are are a big family here and if you really want to cheat another family member than that’s on you and that’s all I will say about that.
Paleo Challenge Point System
In your journal you should have a daily log of your food intake. Every week your team will start with 200 team points or 100 per person. For every cheat that you have during the week you need to subtract 5 points per serving.
- Cheats constitute:
- All Dairy
- Milk in coffee is only -1
- Non-fat greek yogurt is -3 instead of -5
- Grains- Rice, bread, pasta, cake, cookies, cereal ect.
- Legumes- Peanuts, soy beans, lima beans, kidney beans, ect.
- Packaged/processed food
- Fast food
- Artificial sweetener
- Soft drinks and juices
- Added sugar
- Alcohol (1 Glass of Red Wine= -3, 1 shot of Tequila= -1)
- Each day that you take 2g of High Quality fish oil add 2 points. You want high-dose fish-oil. CVS brand isn’t going to cut it. I will have PurePharma Omega-3 available at the gym but I only have 12 bottles left. http://us.purepharma.com/products.php
- Each day that you come to CrossFit and do the daily WOD add 3 points (you must take at least 1 rest day)
- You do not get double points for double workouts
- During your rest day you may dedicate 20+ minutes to foam rolling, stretching, and/or trigger point work add 3 points. **If you stretch and roll for an hour it is still 3 points. The mobility points are only for time spent outside of class. This includes before class, after class, and at home.**
- Team Challenge Bonus WOD Points Each Week you as a team will have the opportunity to gain an extra 20 Bonus points (may come in handy if you have a bad weekend) if you as a team complete 15,000 meters on the rower. These points must be written down and verified by a coach or have a picture taken if there is no coach available to verify …we all have smart phones so there is no debate for this.
- You are not following the Paleo diet if you are not consuming any fruits or vegetables. Each day that you eat less than 3 servings of fruits and vegetables subtract 10 points.